Friday 9 August 2013

New Baby Card and Gift Box

Hi everyone, hope you are having a good week. We haven't been able to get away so far this year so I can't wait for tomorrow as we are having a long weekend away!

This was a card and box that I made for a lady at work who was just about to go on maternity leave.  I decided to buy a teeny t-shirt and make a box that would fit the card and the little gift.  I wanted it to be nice and bright and babyfied but not blue or pink ... 'gender neutral' I think is the PC term!


I started with a 5x5 card and covered it with some yellow star paper that I downloaded some time ago and got out my old favourite, Labels 1 and cut out a background for my topper.  I inked round the edge of the paper with my Ink Dusters which I find that I am much lighter handed with.  I do ink through dies sometimes with cut and dry, but I find on large areas I get lines with cut and dry that I don't when I use the Ink Dusters.


I used paper for the centre and the butterfly as I wanted to shape them which isn't as easy when you use card and it also gave a slightly lighter feel to it.  The bottom layer of the centre is a Fleur de Lis Motif with the centre cut out and on top of that some Anemone Flowers with the centre of the petals cut out.  I made the sentiment myself in Word and then cut it out using a small Classic Scalloped Circle.  I added a butterfly even though I didn't know if the baby was a boy or a girl as I thought it didn't look too girly (just as well as she had a boy!).  I could have sworn that the butterfly was a Marianne die, but it is actually a Memory Box die called Vivienne Butterfly.


All that was left was the box that I made on my trusty Ultimate Pro.  I still use the Ultimate Pro for loads of things including trying to make bows.  I don't put too many bows on my cards as making the bow look right can take as long as the rest of the card.  Why wont somebody make a die that I can make paper bows with?!


I made the holes in the box using the Classic Scalloped Circle dies and notice that I even got the holes in the right place on this one!!

Hope everyone has a great weekend and thanks for taking a look at my blog.


2 comments:

  1. Love this project Melanie, especially the way you have designed the box with 2 holes for a 'sneaky peek' ! Hope you have a super weekend away.
    Maggie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maggie. I hope it made a little gift look a bit more special. The weekend was magic too. I haven't been to the New Forest before and was absolutely bowled over by how lovely it is.

      Melanie
      x

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love hearing from other crafters so please leave a crafty comment. Thanks for stopping by!