Thursday 10 October 2013

Civil Partnership Card

Hello, I hope you are all having a good week.  I am on holiday this week in Christchurch (the Dorset one) so I am hoping that you can actually see this! Actually I can't manipulate the images on my tablet properly, so I will have to sort them out when I am back on Saturday evening.

This card was made last year for my cousin who was going to a Civil Partnership celebration.  We were both invited so the challenge for me was to make two cards that didn’t look like the same person had made them!  The card I made for myself was much more informal than this one, anyway here’s the one I made for my cousin to send …


I started by going through my CDs; the wedding type collections, but as the service was for two men my choice was a bit limited as florals and the like weren’t suitable.  Then I found the MCS Enchanted Moments CD and there was the image of the two intertwined rings on a blueish background that looked just right.  I printed it directly on to centura pearl white card and then sat looking at it for quite a while for inspiration!


I knew it really needed some ribbon and I had some dark ribbon that went with the image, but (good news for me!) a bow wouldn’t look right on this card.  I ended up making two slots near the edges of the card and threading the ribbon through (the buckle was made out of the smallest Romantic Rectangle die) then sticking the whole thing together at the back.  To cover where the ribbon threaded through I added some gems on a strip that I bought from the NEC a couple of years ago.


Next up was the sentiment, starting with the Antique Frames and Accents die and doing a faux mat behind it in grey pearlescent card.  I don’t think faux mats are going to feature much in my cards as I just don’t have the hang of cutting neatly (probably why I like my dies so much).  I printed off the message on the PC and then cut it out and rounded the corners then used four of the accents from the Antique Frames and Accents set to go round the edges.  After that I added lots of different sized gems and also a few blobs of Cosmic Shimmer coloured PVA to go round the edge of the whole card and it was done!

The blooper on this is the faux matt.  It’s really annoying but I could have cut several and they would all have looked just as bad.  I have tried large scissors, small scissors, turning the card, keeping the card still – and it still looks messy whichever way I try.  Looking on the positive side, the Antique Frames and Accents die is quite intricate so it distracts you from the cutting.

For those of you that are interested My Craft Studio has got a great pick of the week starting on Friday 11 October at noon on Create and Craft TV, I will still be on holiday then, so let me know what you think - I may have made some samples!

Have a good and crafty week and thanks for stopping by.



2 comments:

  1. That looks like a very clever and well thought out card to me. I am sure the recipients will treasure it. I think you did very well.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sue - it's always a bit more difficult when doing a card for someone you know as you want to make it for THEIR taste rather than yours. Thanks for the nice comment.

    Melanie
    x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love hearing from other crafters so please leave a crafty comment. Thanks for stopping by!