Sunday 2 March 2014

Blue Birthday Card

Hi

I hope everyone is having a good week.  I am just starting to get ready for my holiday in a couple of weeks time, I haven't done long haul before so it will be a whole new experience for me.  I have been to Boots and spent a fortune on plug adaptors, insect repellent and other travel stuff so I can at least contact the outside world while I am away ... as well as charge my trusty Kindle.

I did this card a couple of weeks ago for a friends birthday.  I was inspired by Kathi whose blog I follow (Paperplay by Kathi) who did some single colour cards and this is my take on the same thing.  Have you noticed that when you see a card you really like, the bit you like best is usually a die or something else that you haven't got?!


Apologies for the photos, they were taken on my phone which isn't as good as the camera.  The blue hasn't come out quite right and is more of a Wedgwood blue in real life.  

The whole card is A5 so I started with an A4 piece of blue card and embossed it with the mBossability Dainty Dots folder to make the card base.  Next I made a frame out of Labels 4 and stuck it on with some mounting foam ... I debated with myself for quite a while about whether to ink the edges of everything, but in the end decided to leave it absolutely plain.  Next I did the corners which come from the Becca Feekin Filigree Delight die.  I really love Becca's dies and her blog (Amazing Paper Grace) is a real inspiration, check it out if you haven't already.  I don't do much stamping but have bought some of Becca's Justrite stamps and dies ... between Becca and Sue Wilson, they could cost me a fortune if I let myself!


The sentiment is a Britannia Die and as usual I put a gem instead of the dot over the 'i'.  The flowers and leaves came next and they were done with the Heartfelt Creations Sweet Juliet dies on 160gsm paper as card made the flowers difficult to shape.  I don't know if it's just me but I found the flowers, especially the smaller ones, quite fiddly to put together as you have to bend all the loops underneath and catch them on a brad, probably just my clumsy fingers.  Anyway once I had finished I did like the dimension that the flower loops gave to the card.  I thought the card was finished but it lacked something, so I got out my Tattered Lace Chantilly Bow die set and cut one of the smaller bows and put it on the bottom with a gem.


No bloopers this week, but the card is quite simple really, a bit different from my normal style but I liked it.

Hope everyone has a great crafty week and thanks for reading.



1 comment:

  1. Hi Melanie. I saw your blog link on the Craftelly Forum and have just found your site. You do some lovely cards so will add your blog to my regular viewing for the future. Thanks for the inspiration. Susan. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love hearing from other crafters so please leave a crafty comment. Thanks for stopping by!