Wednesday 23 July 2014

My Craft Studio Samples for Academy Magazine Issue 3

Hi everyone

 … long time no speak!  I have still been making cards but haven’t had much time to update the blog, but I am going to try to post at least once every other week from now on.  My holiday seems so long ago now, although I am still slogging through the Project Life Album, it turns out that I much prefer using the online downloads rather than using the cards in the box.  I will still use the cards from the box as the filler cards in the album, but I have so many pictures and napkins and tickets etc. that I want to fit in that there won’t be much room for too many filler cards anyway.

On with the samples … these are for the My Craft Studio Academy Magazine, Issue 3.  It was fantastic doing Christmas cards in July, although when I started finding glitter in the bathroom I knew that I needed to start tidying!  The images and colours on this CD were really lovely, there was something for everyone.  My favourite was the blue snowflake paper, which you will see quite a lot of … and after realising how easy the wine bottle covers were to make up, I think there will be a few of these made up later in the year.  I was a bit time pressured on these samples, even though we had a bit longer to make them this time, as it was my sons birthday in the middle weekend so I didn't get much done on the middle weekend ... I hope they got there in time!

The first card is taken from one of the toppers that was a really nice mixture of contemporary and traditional, I love the Santa image across the moon and it was just begging to be layered.  I printed off two of the image and used the second one to cut out the sentiment and the main image.  I went round the edge of the image and the sentiment with an embossing pen and added gold twinkly embossing powder and heat embossed them both.  To the bottom layer I added some lace and some glittery washi tape as well as lots of gems.  I glittered the image and stuck it to the main topper, a bit of matting and layering and it was done!



The second one is my favourite I think, and has lots and lots of glitter.  I covered the back and the front of the front cover of the card with paper that I lightened slightly in MCS and covered the inside with the same paper that I darkened a bit.  I cut the front of the card on a slant and then stamped Chloe’s Merry Christmas on the inside top right and filled in the letters with a quickie glue pen and glitter.  Next I die cut a Tattered Lace reindeer in brown card and some Tattered Lace Snowflakes on white paper that I had covered in a double sided sticky sheet.  To fill in the gaps I found some snowflake punches to make some smaller snowflakes then glittered one side of all of the snowflakes using pale blue and crystal glitter to match the paper.  Some of the larger snowflakes were stuck on back to back slanted front cover and some were added in the gap.  I added a couple of lines of raised glitter at the bottom of the card to give the reindeer something to stand on!  A red gem for Rudolph’s nose and the card was done.  You can’t really see it on the photos but this card is really sparkly.















Next up was something I hadn't done before … a pop up tag card.  I used the same image tag as I had for the first card as I loved the image.  I was a bit disappointed with how small the card was when I finished it, but on the bright side it would fit in an envelope when it folded down.  To start with I took a piece of dark card as the base and then printed off some of my favourite snowflake paper as the toppers for each section.  I stuck two toppers back to back and using MCS cut out the topper image on the tag as well as the sentiment as I knew the sentiment on the tag would be covered when I stuck the card together.  I folded up the card with the topper in the middle, edging the topper and the sentiment in some gold glitter and finished off with a bow made on my Bow It All, which my mother finds a hilarious piece of equipment!  She can’t imagine anyone not being able to tie a bow … well I can but it takes me so long that the ribbon is all wrinkled by the time I have got it right.


This card I put together very quickly as all the time was spent playing on MCS to get the picture right, I do like messing with the software to get the effect I want.  I used the separate images to compose the main picture, added the text and printed it off.  I wasn't very happy with the quality of the black base card as to me, it didn't look quite strong enough, but I stuck on lots of gems and bows and some big glitter for the tinsel and ended up with a nice traditional card.


The fifth item was a wine box which again the photos don’t really do justice to (that's not being big headed, I mean you can't see all the sparkles).  I used the silver version of the glittery washi tape and added some spiky flowers from using a Cheery Lynn die that I put some big glitter in the middle of and some smaller Tattered Lace flowers.  These wine boxes are so easy to put together and you can decorate as much or as little as you like.  I will definitely be personalising some of these this Christmas.



Lastly was a pillow box which was in lovely colours and again is really quick to print off and cut out.  They make great boxes for little awkward presents.  I decorated the box with more Cheery Lynn die cut flowers, Tattered Lace foliage and some lace and finished off with a sentiment from the CD.



No major bloopers this time, just a bit disappointed with the bendy large card, and I also forgot that when I put the snow on the ground for Rudolph ... you can see through his body, however galloping horses wouldn't notice (or should that be reindeer?).

I loved using this CD and hope you like the samples.

Have a great week.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love hearing from other crafters so please leave a crafty comment. Thanks for stopping by!