Monday 9 September 2013

Circular Happy Birthday Card

Hi everyone, hope you've had a good week with plenty of crafting.

I've an interview coming up this week so I'm VERY nervous.  It would probably be no trouble for anyone else, but my last interview was when I was 18 and that's a very long time ago!

This week's card is a circular one ... and take a good look at it because I am NEVER making another box like this one!!!  It took me ages and ages to get half decent and I still wasn't thrilled with it when I had finished.

The card itself was no problem to put together, it was a La Pashe flower in a dome and was really easy to do and I was pleased with how it came out ... the box was a whole other story.


I started out by making the flower (Cherry Blossom by La Pashe) which I really enjoyed doing as it came out exactly as it showed on the demo.  So often I find there is something missing from the instructions, or you need lots of practice before you can get it to look how it does on the pictures, but this was really easy.

I made this card before I had my Circle Cutter or any round dies so the circles for the card are hand cut and then I put some peel offs round the edge to disguise any cutting that wasn't quite right.




Next I punched the smaller flowers out of Tonic Petal Pairs punches used with a printed sheet from the My Craft Studio Petal Pairs Partners CD so the flowers look more realistic.  Although I love inking and using Promarkers for the edges of things, I still find that printing off the little circles and punching them out gives a prettier effect.

I used some pale green pearl card from my stash and the pink layers are some thick 12x12 papers that I got in a large pack from Costco years and years ago.  To finish the card off I used a dome that I found in a drawer and there was only one, so I really don't know where I got it from! I would really like to know as it is round rather than oval, so if anyone knows where to get them from please drop me an email.

Finally, I used some gems and I also inked lightly round a Craftwork Cards sentiment for the lid of the box.


Now for the box ... I cannot tell you how long this took, but it felt like days!  It must have been me, but I just couldn't get it to look right.  It is a Glitter Girls box I think called Roundalay and although the cutting out wasn't too bad, the fitting it together so it actually looked round was really frustrating.  I felt like I needed three pairs of hands to hold everything together correctly.  It is basically two strips with 'teeth' that you fold over and stick on to a circle to create the top and bottom of the box.  I just didn't have enough fingers to keep the wet glue in contact with the whole of the bottom (or top) so it would keep completely flat, add to that trying to keep it in a round shape and there was definitely some muttering going on!


You can see clearly in the picture above with both the bottom and the top of the box how you can still see the edges of the 'teeth' and how the bottom of the box still isn't quite flat!

Looking back at this, although I wont be making the box again, I really like the flowers so must go and dig out the punches!

I hope everyone gets some good crafting in this weekend and thanks for stopping by.




1 comment:

  1. I love this card Melanie, it's so pretty. Good luck with your interview, got my fingers crossed for you!
    Maggie (aka Spellbinder) x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love hearing from other crafters so please leave a crafty comment. Thanks for stopping by!